Monday, March 26, 2007

Living Vicariously Through Movies

Spring is officially here and spring is generally thought of as that time of the year where romance springs (Ed Note: Puns, HAHA). The first two syllables in this website seem to indicate a very sparse sprinkling of this theme. However, lucky for us, the entertainment industry has provided us with a multitude of romantic endeavors that we can live vicariously through. I'm going to impart with you my top five (in no particular order), and if Youtube users have already done the work for me a moving pictures visual aid for each. (Ed Note: This was actually supposed to be a Valentine's Day blog but I got lazy)

  1. Harry's speech at the end of When Harry met Sally. This is widely considered one of the best romantic gestures in a movie but I don't care how cliched it is.



    (Skip to the 3:20 mark to see what I'm specifically referring to, but the whole thing is pretty good really)

  2. Harry telling Harmony he wants her in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. In this scene, from my favorite movie of whatever year it was made (Ed Note: It was 2005), Harmony is leaving and Harry is trying to get her to stay. The conversation goes something like this:
    Harmony: Look around there's younger and there's better.
    Harry:I don't want younger and better, I want you. (beat) Um, that didn't come out right.
    What Harry says is so endearing and yet it's technically an insult. I guess I can really relate to Harry's inability to communicate.


(Ed Note: I got lazy with this post, and didn't bother thinking of any more. Except I liked in That Thing You Do when Tom Hanks told Guy "You know, Horace was right about you, Guy; you are the smart one. Lenny is the fool, Jimmy is the... talent, and Faye is... well, now, Faye is special, isn't she? And you are the smart one. That's what I think, anyway". )

No comments: