Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Fear and Loathing in Barcelona: A jovial journey to the heart of Spring Break

This spring break the third year honors engineers at RIT were privileged enough to get a trip to Barcelona, Spain pretty much paid for. In exchange for visiting a few engineering companies, the honors program paid for our transportation, hotels and most of our food. Pretty fair trade if you ask me, and other than Delta attempting to ruin our trip from the start it was the most enjoyable experience I've had in a couple of years. (Ed Note: The Delta Delay actually allowed us to skip one of the more boring activities and paved the way for one of the more entertaining lunches) I refuse to bore you, my dear reader, with a day by day account of what went down in the fair city of Barcelona and instead I'll try and address the important themes of the trip.

Where to start? Where to start? Well ignoring sleep, I'm pretty sure I was drinking or drunk more often than I was sober. Such are the joys of having wine or sangria at every meal (minus breakfast) and going to the same bar every night. (Ed Note: God bless the Ovella Negra for putting up with us Americans). The Ovella Negra, it must be noted, is like a black hole. Despite our best efforts to go to new and different bars, we somehow found ourselves inexplicably drawn back to that establishment. Once we even made a conscious effort to leave the Black Sheep in search of somewhere new, but it was not 15 minutes later that we found ourselves somehow back in the bar.

Also, if you ever get the chance to go to a bar with a couple of professors, its a highly enlightening experience. Hey kids, it turns out professors are people too! Similarly, being in a situation where professors are trying to introduce students to random women in the bar is one of those "must do in your life time" events. (Ed Note: Sorry I disappointed you, Borkholders).

There exists a device that resembles a pitcher with a spout on one end, from which you can pour wine into your mouth from a great distance. Outside circumstances pending, I'll update this post with a video of yours truly drinking from such a device.

(Ed Note: Blogspot crashed and lost half of this blog so instead of retyping it, I'm going to jump right to the conclusion. Pretend it was the greatest 3 paragraphs you have ever read)

As I've stated above, this was possibly the greatest week I've had the pleasure of experiencing in quite a while. I don't think we could have gotten a better group of students nor could we have gotten a better selection of faculty to have accompanied us on this trip. We even got some bonus extra-collegiate co-eds to liven up the last few nights for us. To sum up in the immortal words of Dr. Alan Nye: "SWOT this!"

No comments: